INSEAD will admit around 16 to 18 students each year (roughly 8-9 per campus). We are looking for highly motivated individuals interested in pursuing a career as a professor in business. A clear interest in academic research, a passion for learning and a creative intellect are needed to succeed in the programme. You do not need to have formal research experience or a business background to apply, nor do you need a graduate degree or work experience to be admitted.
Applying to INSEAD
Applications to our PhD in Management Programme for the next available intake are fully electronic and will be made available in early Fall this year. The deadline for submission of application will be in early December. Online forms not fully completed with all the required information will not be reviewed by the PhD Admissions Committee. A non-refundable application fee of 50 Euros will be payable online together with the online applications.
Candidates apply for admission in one of the eight (8) specialisation fields (Accounting, Decision Sciences, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Marketing, Organisational Behaviour, Strategy, or Technology and Operations Management ), and are assessed on the basis of: outstanding intellectual ability, motivation, faculty recommendations and potential for an international academic career.
In order to apply you must have the following:
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited university
An official GMAT* or GRE* score on a test taken less than five years ago
(this requirement cannot be waived under any circumstances)
- TOEFL* score report on a test taken less than two years before (if English is not your first language or if you do not have a degree from an institution where English was the medium of instruction. If you do, you are automatically exempt from the TOEFL exam. Your degree transcripts from the English speaking institution will suffice as proof - no formal waiver is required)**
- The application form (including a statement of purpose), which will be available and posted online in early Fall or Autumn of this year
- Official transcripts from each school attended (scanned copies of original official documents to be uploaded in PDF format). You do not need to send any paper documents or hard copies until admitted to the programme
- Scanned, certified copies of all university diplomas (uncertified photocopies will NOT be accepted), unless the award of the degree is specified on your final official transcript
- Three letters of recommendation describing academic potential (preferably from faculty or scholars; however, professional recommendations are also accepted)
Completed applications should be submitted by early December deadline. Applications received after that date will not be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Processing of applications begins in January, and candidates are advised of admissions decisions in end March or early April.
If you are accepted to INSEAD, we will ask that you provide us with original or official, certified copies of your degree diplomas and transcripts. Scanned PDF copies suffice during the application stage and for the purpose of meeting the deadline. You do not need to send ANY hard copies to us during the application stage - the process is fully electronic. Please email us: PhD.firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
*NB. The Code Centers for the PhD Programme are: 3244 (GRE/INSEAD's PhD in France), 7324 (GRE/INSEAD's PhD in Singapore) and DL3-S8-08 (GMAT). TOEFL code is 3244.
A word about the TOEFL exam
** Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL test unless they have a university degree from an institution where the curriculum was taught exclusively in English. With a degree taught primarily in English, applicants are automatically exempt from the TOEFL requirement and will be granted a waiver without prior approval. On the application, simply select “not applicable” when asked for the TOEFL score. The degree transcripts will suffice as proof. Nothing further is needed for the exemption - it will be automatically granted with a completed application and transcripts from your degree in English.